Who We Are
The Rogue Valley Genealogical Society (RVGS) is located in Southern Oregon in the Rogue River Valley. Initial settlement in the valley was spurred by a gold strike in Jacksonville Oregon, thus accounting for our logo, the happy miner who represents the activity of digging for gold in genealogy records. RVGS was founded in 1966 and now owns and operates the Jackson County Genealogy Library (JCGL), the largest collection of genealogical materials in Southern Oregon. To access the library website, follow this link, JCGL
The mission of the society is to inspire interest in genealogy, inform the public and maintain a growing, sustainable library with a strong online presence.
The objectives of the society are to
- to secure information of a genealogical nature from public and private records by way of historical research as well as indexing and abstracting
- to provide for the preservation and publication of results
- to preserve and protect the collection for future generations
- to acquire by gift, purchase or other means, genealogical materials including books, maps, films, fiche, electronic media, documents, records and artifacts of genealogical and historical interest, and to preserve and protect these for future use
- to acquire funds from membership dues, donations, and fees, and to acquire by gift, purchase or other means, personal and real property in order to support the Society’s purposes
- to cooperate and/or affiliate with other nonprofit entities/organizations with like purposes
To accomplish these objectives, RVGS promotes the following activities:
- Presentation of programs containing historical and/or genealogical information at general meetings and seminars
- Provision of genealogy classes at the library on a range of topics designed for beginners to experts.
- Publication of a eNewsletter, Between Us Diggers, that outlines society activities and contains genealogical information
- Expansion of the JCGL collection through volunteer activities such as the Jackson County Cemetery project
- Maintenance of the Pioneer and Early Settler Certificate program for descendants of Jackson County Oregon pioneers